Android EMM (Enterprise Mobility Management) is built-into FileWave starting in version 13.1, but is disabled by default, and only needs a change to your license to enable it (no install or upgrade needed if you are already running 13.1.0+)
To activate support for the new Android Management features in your environment, and for assistance from the FileWave team for a streamlined on-boarding experience, please contact:
The Americas: FileWave’s Customer Success team (email@example.com).
EU and Asia-Pacific: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Reach out to Customer Success team (email@example.com) requesting EMM enabled
- Your license will be updated to enable Android EMM
- Once the license key is updated, you'll need to do the following to make the Android features appear in your admin:
- Server menu > Activation Code > updated > (don't change anything) hit OK > Close the license window
- Either restart the server and OS or fwcontrol server restart
- A FileWave Engineer will reach out to provide you a JSON file for authentication to the API and initial instructions
- Server and Admin running FileWave Version 13.1.0 +
- Android Nougat 7+ Device(s)
- EMM supported FileWave License (See "Requesting Access" above)
- Network Ports 443 in to server and out to google open (See Default TCP and UDP Port Usage for full list and topology)
You are not required to setup Google Cloud Messaging (GCM/Firebase) for Android EMM to work
Configure Service Account
Once you have received the JSON file to use, open FileWave Admin Preferences, proceed to the "Google" tab and click "Configure Service Account" in "Android Service Account" section.
- In the FileWave Admin, press "Choose File" button in Set Up an Android Management Enterprise dialog
- Select service account file. Then press "Upload" button.
- In the next dialog you'll be asked to enter display name for your enterprise. This is only internal identifier for your enterprise in FileWave. Type in the name according to your liking and press 'Sign Up'. (Note this name will be visible on the endpoints, so something professional would be your best choice)
- In the next dialog you'll be asked to enter ("Click here") link to finalize the setup. Press the link. You'll be taken to Google Play website where you need to finalize creation of your enterprise. Once you complete registration your browser will be redirected to website hosted on your FileWave Server. This website should display message that your enterprise was successfully created.
The Google account utilized to finalize the setup must NOT be a G-Suite account (this is currently a Google API requirement)
Unlike a standard Google or Gmail account, a G Suite administrator manages all accounts associated with each of these editions. G Suite provides access to a core set of apps that include Gmail, Calendar, Drive, Docs, Sheets, Slides, Forms, Google+, Hangouts Meet, Hangouts Chat, Sites, and Groups.
Go back to FileWave Admin. A successfully configured Android EMM support in FileWave Admin Preferences:
Enrolling Android devices to FileWave
You can not enroll a device that is in safe mode
First you need to create an enrollment token. This token will be used in a process of enrolling device to FileWave. You do it by going to 'Assistants' and selecting 'Enroll Android Device...' menu item.
The 'Enroll Android Device' allows you to create enrollment tokens. Create one (we suggest multi-use with an expiration of the full 30 days).
Make sure that your device is fully wiped to factory settings and is not yet activated. If you're device is running a recent enough version of Android, you can either:
- Tap on the screen seven times (in the same spot) to start the enrollment process, or
- Start a normal activation process, but type
afw#setupin place of a Google account.
When the device asks you to install Android Device Policy app, install it. Next you'll be asked to set up work device, you need to give your consent that Android Device Policy app will manage your device.
Next you'll be asked to either scan QR code or type enrollment token manually. After doing this your device should finish enrollment with Google within a few minutes.
Once device finishes enrollment it should be visible in FileWave within 5 minutes. In order to finish enrollment on FileWave side you need to go to 'Clients' tab, 'New Client' and 'Enrolled Mobile Devices'. Select your Android device, add it to FileWave and perform model update. (Devices will not auto-enroll at this time)
Congratulations! You added your first Android device to FileWave. Enjoy managing it!