This recipe shows you how to customize the name, logo, icon, and main activity name in the Filewave client for Android
- Filewave Client APK (8.0.1, as of this writing) http://downloads.filewave.com/8.0.1/FileWaveClient-8.0.1.apk You may find the current client APK from https://yourfilewaveserver.com:20443/android and by downloading the file linked from “Step 1”.
- Any Image Editing Program (Apple’s Preview.app, Photoshop, etc)
- Virtuous Ten Studio (APK editing utility – alternatively, you may use apktool and signapk.jar, but it is a multi-step process) http://virtuous-ten-studio.com/
Create a new project in Virtuous Ten Studio using File – New Project.
- From the “Import a file” dialog, select the APK file for the Filewave Client, then click the “Import” button.
- Enter a Solution name in the “Solution Name” text box and click the “OK” button.
The APK will be automatically decompiled and will be ready for modification.
- To modify the name of the application, double-click on the “AndroidManifest.xml” file within Solution Explorer and replace “@string/app_name” with “YourCustomAppName” within both the application and activity elements. This changes the name of the icon that is displayed in the Android launcher as well as the name of the main activity that is displayed when the Kiosk is open.
- Next, right-click the “res” folder and choose “Open in explorer”
- Within the res folder exist the image resources that correspond to the logo displayed in the kiosk as well as the launcher icon and persistent status notification icon.
Modify each of the resources with the logo of your choosing, making sure to keep the size in pixels and the name/location the same. Directly replace the existing files with your new modified ones in the Virtuous Ten Studio Project folder for this project.
High Density Launcher Icon
High Density Notification Icon
Medium Density Launcher Icon
Medium Density Notification Icon
Extra High Density Launcher Icon
Extra High Density Notification Icon
Extra-Extra High Density Launcher Icon
Extra-Extra High Density Notification Icon
Table SEQ Table \* ARABIC 1 - Filewave Client Image Resources
- Click the “Build all” button on the Virtuous Ten Studio ribbon bar to build your newly-modified Filewave Android Client APK.
- Right-click the “FileWaveClient-8.0.1 (Basic theming)” solution within the “FileWaveClient-8.0.1” project, and choose “Open in windows explorer”.
- Browse into the “Binary” folder to find your newly-compiled and signed APK, which may now be installed on an Android device to test your modifications.
- Once you have confirmed that your modifications look nice and do not cause any functionality problems, place the APK file on a web server under your control and of your choosing. In my case, we do not use the built-in OS X web server, but the default page stating “No web services are available at this time” was still there, so I placed the APK in the directory corresponding to this default page which happens to be /usr/share/collaboration/FileWaveClient-8.0.1.apk.
- Modify /usr/local/filewave/django/android/templates/android/welcome.html, replacing http://downloads.filewave.com/8.0.1/FileWaveClient-8.0.1.apk with the link to the modified APK on your web server. In my case, this was http://yourfilewaveserver.com/collaboration/FileWaveClient-8.0.1.apk
- Test installing the APK via the android enrollment page.