This Knowledge base article will help you troubleshoot mdm with FileWave.
Before going deep into troubleshooting, make sure that you have got these steps correct:
- If you are running FileWave Server/Admin version 5.5.1 or later, did you follow the exact same steps in this article to generate your APN certificate.
If you are running FileWave 5.5.0 or earlier, this is the right article
- Does your license key allow you to enroll the iOS devices you are working on (by default FileWave allows 5 iOS devices).
- Your FileWave server should have a fully qualified DNS name (this dns name is the one entered in the Admin Preferences->Mobile)
- Did you Migrate your FileWave server from another platform/OS. If yes, Did you follow this KB article
If this platform is windows then you should run the server installer (only if you plan to use mdm) after you do the migration (django.sqlite will be created) and then
run this script also available in the migration KB article mentioned above.
- If for some reason you changed the Server DNS Name in Admin Preferences->Mobile, did you re-generate certificate ?
If you did, then you have to trust the new certificate from the enrollment page ( https://dns:20443/ios)
- If the APN cert upload fails from Admin Preferences, make sure you followed the exact steps from step 1, as this can be caused of password protected certificate
- If all of the above are set and still have problems, you need to create an admin user account for debugging django:
a. go to the FileWave server and type this command: "sudo fwcontrol mdm addadminuser" and follow the instructions
b. Login to sentry from "https://serverDNS:20443/sentry/login" and see if there are any errors or warnings and email the output to email@example.com
- Another important log file is "/usr/local/filewave/log/filewave_django.log"
- Make sure that your FileWave Admin displays "iOS/MDM Service OK" in the left lower corner in order to be able to manage your devices.
The following are some of the problems encountered before:
The profile "Filewave MDM Configuration" is invalid. The MDM payload
"Mobile Device Management" contains an invalid topic
This is usually solved by re-generating the apn certificates because you have not generate them correctly.
There are caseswhere ios devices fail to enroll and you get an error similar to this from sentry:
(61, 'Connection refused')
Request Method: PUT
Exception Type: error
(61, 'Connection refused')
Exception Location: /usr/local/filewave/python/lib/python2.7/socket.py in meth, line 222
This error is associated with a port "2195" being closed, you can verify by :
telnet gateway.push.apple.com 2195
telnet: connect to address 18.104.22.168: Connection refused
the issue will be solved if the IT Admin opens port 2195 for FileWave.
port 5223 should be open for IOS clients to reach out to the APN server and receive push notifications.
For a list of all ports used, check this man-